Everything to know about the Shopify to Wicked Reports integration.
Table of Contents
- Why people integrate Shopify & Wicked Reports
- How to integrate Shopify with Wicked Reports
- What's Next? (Historical orders, Tracking, & Data updates)
- Orders Happening Outside Your Shopify Store?
- Upsell Orders and Software
- Subscription Attribution and Reporting
- ReCharge Churn Logic
- Product Attribution and Reporting
- Cohort Reporting
- Gross vs Net Revenue Reporting
- Testing & Troubleshooting
Why people integrate Shopify & Wicked Reports
- Looking to get ROI on Google & Facebook ad spend
- Leads take time to buy from your CRM and want to connect customer lifetime value from Shopify revenue back to ad spend
- High value subscription customers and you’d like the recurring purchase to track back to the top and middle of the funnel ad clicks
- Ad Platform conversion tracking is taking credit for email abandoned cart campaigns that are actually converting the sales
- Pixel conversion is inaccurate, missing subscription conversions, inaccurate ROI, or taking credit for other channel’s conversions.
How to integrate Shopify
The Shopify setup process requires you to create a "Custom App" inside your Shopify Store. You will then provide us the API Key from that "Custom App" inside Wicked Reports. It's simpler than it sounds. You can watch this video below to see how you do it, or you can read the steps below the video.
- Go to your Shopify store and click the Apps menu
- Then Select App and sales channel settings
- Click the "Develop apps for your store" button
- Click "Create an app"
- Give your app a name. You can use "Wicked Reports Integration". Leave the App Developer with the default name and click "Create app"
- Click "Configure Admin API scopes"
- Checkbox the following permissions
- Click Save at the bottom
- At the top, click "Install app" and then click "Install" on the popup window
- From API credentials, click "Reveal token once" for the "Admin API access token"
- Copy the Admin API access token. It starts with "shpat_". You will use this token in your Wicked Reports account
Go to your Wicked Reports menu option Setup->Authorizations
Click the Connect button for Shopify
Enter your Shopify URL and the Admin API Token you just copied then select Authorize
After authorizing your Shopify account, return to your Wicked Reports account the next day after 9a ET to confirm your order data is present in the account
- Historical Orders
Wicked Reports will retrieve your entire Shopify order history for cohort and customer lifetime value reporting.
- Order Tracking
All incoming clicks directly to your Shopify store URLs will be automatically tracked. No need to deploy the Wicked Reports tracking code on your store - it's auto-deployed.
Note: If you create checkout pages outside of your Shopify store, you will need to place our tracking code on those pages.
- When will I see my data?
Each morning, at about 12 pm UTC, Wicked Reports updates its database. This is when we retrieve the previous day's Shopify orders, attribute them back to clicks, leads, and ad spend, and update your reports.
Orders Happening Outside Your Shopify Store?
If you also have orders happening outside of the ones appearing in your Shopify store each day, you can authorize another order source from the Setup->Authorizations menu.
Only authorize additional order sources that have unique orders not already found in your Shopify store. If you use Stripe to process your Shopify orders, you do NOT need to authorize Stripe with Wicked Reports, only Shopify.
Upsell Orders and Software
Wicked Reports successfully works with both CartHook and Zipify's One Click Upsell. If you have a different upsell software, we can integrate, please discuss with your Customer Success rep.
Subscription Attribution and Reporting
Wicked Reports has native integrations with both ReCharge and Chargify so that your Shopify subscription sales can be properly attributed. It is very important to detect and attribute subscription conversions and customers correctly - this can be a huge edge for your media buying!
Follow the simple integration wizards for either ReCharge or Chargify and Wicked will pull in all historical subscription data, and pull in all new and recurring subscription billings each morning for the previous day.
Using ReCharge for Subscriptions?
ReCharge will use the same information used when setting up Wicked Reports with your Shopify Store. It will ask you to provide the URL of your Shop and the Admin API Token you created in the earlier steps.
You do NOT need to create a new Shopify Custom App for ReCharge. You will use the same app created for the Shopify integration above.
ReCharge Churn Logic:
- Each morning when Wicked pulls orders from Shopify we check it for recharge tag.
- If it's detected, we fill in subscription id for order using product sku name + email of contact.
- If next month we don't see order with the same subscription id , it's considered a churn.
Product Attribution and Reporting
Wicked Reports reports off of the product names that are in your Shopify store. You can validate this by going to the Wicked Report's product report.
Note: You need to create products in Shopify and then have your Shopify checkout use those products as line items of the order. If you do not use product names, the product attribution and product reporting will not equal your daily sales.
Approximately 1 day after you have integrated Shopify and your CRM data (Klaviyo, ActiveCampaign, HubSpot, Drip, Infusionsoft, Ontraport, Mailchimp, OmniSend, etc) with Wicked Reports, you will have access to powerful cohort customer lifetime value reporting. You can take advantage of these reports before a single click is tracked or attributed!
Wicked connects the CRM lead information with the historical Shopify sales and revenue data so you can see time to 1st purchase, accumulated customer lifetime value by month, and time to break-even based on cost per lead and cost to acquire the customer.
Historical Tracking Data
Some of our clients already have tracking (or, attribution) data stored in their CRM from past effort's to track and attribute customer lifetime value back to ad spend. If you have this data, you can send it to Wicked Reports. We will then attribute your custom tracking data to Shopify sales & revenue.
Gross vs Net Revenue Reporting
Wicked's Gross Shopify revenue = Shopify Gross order amount + shipping + tax
Wicked's Net Shopify Revenue = Shopify Gross order amount - refunds - discounts + shipping + tax
Note: Discounts will show up in the Customer LTV report as "partially refunded" status.
Testing & Troubleshooting
The Shopify Wicked Reports integration generally works without issue.
Note: Wicked Reports automatically adds our tracking code to your Shopify store but there are a couple ways to optimize the tracking code if you feel some conversions are being missed:
1. You can manually move the Wicked Reports tracking code directly before the </body> tag in theme template.
2. Do not use lazyload for Wicked Reports script in your shopify store
- Shopify Plus accounts can put our tracking code on the order form itself.
- Other Shopify non-Plus accounts will still track as long as the customer makes it to the post purchase thank you page.
- Product Page is redirecting and stripping tracking parameters: An issue we sometimes see is when visiting specific product pages in a Shopify store, the page redirects and strips all tracking parameters. The result is that Ads don't appear to be getting conversions when in reality the URLs are just having their tracking stripped and Wicked Reports can't tell they were clicked.
- Common Cause: A product in the Shopify store has variants and a variant is auto-selected for the customer.
- This typically happen if you use a custom theme
- The theme you are using may allow you to turn off the auto-selection of the variant
- You may need a developer or possibly Shopify support to help alter the theme so variants are not auto-selected.
How to test the tracking of a Shopify order
Shopify Plus customers can use the Wicked Reports tracking validation tool.
- Go to Setup-> Tracking Validation
- Click on "Manually Validate URL" and then select the Sales Tracking option. Paste in your URL and start test
- After making the test purchase and reaching the thank you page, come back to Wicked Reports and click End Test.
How to Validate Wicked Report order and revenue data matches your store
Wicked Reports order count and revenue amount will usually match your shopping cart order system numbers.
If the numbers are off slightly, here are possible causes:
- Time zone differences between your source system and Wicked Reports (EST).
- Confirm you are looking at gross or net revenue in both systems.
- Orders that are entered with back-dates, edited days later, or deleted days later - Wicked misses those, we pull a day's orders one-time only.
To validate and reconcile orders, we recommend starting with 1 day and using this process: My revenue doesn't match what I'm seeing in my shopping cart
It's the exact process our Customer Success team uses.