Everything to know about the Stripe to Wicked Reports integration.
Table of Contents
- Why people integrate Stripe & Wicked Reports
- Integration Requirements
- How to integrate Stripe with Wicked Reports
- What Happens After Integration
- Non-Stripe Orders
- Upsell Orders and Software
- Subscription Attribution and Reporting
- Product Attribution and Reporting
- Cohort Reporting
- Gross vs Net Revenue Reporting
- Testing & Troubleshooting
Why people integrate Stripe & Wicked Reports
- Looking to get ROI on Google & Facebook ad spend
- Leads take time to buy from your CRM and want to connect customer lifetime value from Stripe revenue back to ad spend
- High value subscription customers and you’d like the recurring purchase to track back to the top and middle of the funnel ad clicks
- Ad Platform conversion tracking is taking credit for email abandoned cart campaigns that are actually converting the sales
- Pixel conversion is inaccurate, missing subscription conversions, inaccurate ROI, or taking credit for other channel’s conversions.
The Stripe setup process is fast and simple with our Stripe Integration Wizard.
What Happens After Integration
- Historical Orders
Wicked Reports will retrieve your entire Stripe order history for cohort and customer lifetime value reporting.
- Order Tracking
You will need to place our tracking code on your entire checkout process:
- Option #1 (works with most carts) - Follow the directions on our tracking code help doc to deploy the code.
- Option #2 - If Google Tag Manager is allowed on the cart, you can create a Wicked Reports tag to fire - Read the Google Tag Manager help doc.
- Option #3 - The Thank You page hack is not ideal but does work fine, read about the Thank You Page hack or work with your Wicked Onboarding rep to get this setup.
- When will I see my data?
Each morning, at about 12 pm UTC, Wicked Reports updates its database. This is when we retrieve the previous day's Stripe orders, attribute them back to clicks, leads, and ad spend, and update your reports.
Orders Outside Your Stripe Account
If you also have orders happening outside of the ones appearing in your Stripe account each day, you can authorize another order source from the Setup->Authorizations menu.
Only authorize additional order sources that have unique orders not already found in your Stripe account. If you use Stripe to process your Shopify orders, you do NOT need to authorize Stripe with Wicked Reports, only Shopify.
Upsell Orders and Software
Wicked Reports works easily with CartHook. If you have different upsell software, we can possibly integrate, please discuss with your Customer Success rep. It is likely you will need to use our Order API to send us the Upsell orders.
Subscription Attribution and Reporting
If your subscriptions are managed inside of Stripe, Wicked Reports will detect and chain the subscriptions together. This allows for accurate, valuable customer lifetime value to be attributed to your marketing efforts.
Product Attribution and Reporting
Wicked Reports reports off the product names that are in your Stripe account. You can validate this by going to the Wicked Report's product report.
Note: You need to create product IDs and names in Stripe and then have them attached to customers and invoices at the time of sale. Without this, Wicked Reports marketing attribution will still work, but the product attribution and product reporting will not.
Some order systems store the product info for the orders in a metadata in Stripe. At this time, we are unable to do product attribution for products stored in Stripe metadata
Approximately 1 day after you have integrated Stripe and your CRM data (Klaviyo, ActiveCampaign, HubSpot, Drip, Infusionsoft, Ontraport, Mailchimp, OmniSend, etc) with Wicked Reports, you will have access to powerful cohort customer lifetime value reporting. You can take advantage of these reports before a single click is tracked or attributed!
Wicked connects the CRM lead information with the historical Stripe sales and revenue data so you can see time to 1st purchase, accumulated customer lifetime value by month, and time to break-even based on cost per lead and cost to acquire the customer.
Historical Tracking Data
Some of our clients already have tracking (or, attribution) data stored in their CRM from past effort's to track and attribute customer lifetime value back to ad spend. If you have this data, you can send it to Wicked Reports. We will then attribute your custom tracking data to Stripe sales & revenue.
Gross vs Net Revenue Reporting
Wicked's Gross Stripe revenue = Gross order amount
Wicked's Net Stripe Revenue = Gross order amount - discounts - refunds
Note: If we receive a charge with status = failed, Customer LTV report will show 'FAILED'. Everything else is 'APPROVED'.
Wicked has the ability to skip charges that are transferred into your account. Please open a ticket with support to have this enabled in your account.
Testing & Troubleshooting
The Stripe Wicked Reports integration generally works without issue to bring in the sales from the previous day. The risk areas are subscriptions and products - they are dependent on how you setup and use Stripe. See those sections above.
How to test the tracking of a Stripe order
Stripe customers can use the Wicked Reports tracking validation tool.
- Go to Setup-> Tracking Validation
- Click on "Manually Validate URL" and then select the Sales Tracking option. Paste in your URL and start test
- After making the test purchase and reaching the thank you page, come back to Wicked Reports and click End Test.
How to Validate Wicked Report order and revenue data matches your store
Wicked Reports order count and revenue amount will usually match your shopping cart order system numbers.
If the numbers are off slightly, here are possible causes:
- Time zone differences between your source system and Wicked Reports (EST).
- Confirm you are looking at gross or net revenue in both systems.
- Orders that are entered with back-dates, edited days later, or deleted days later - Wicked misses those, we pull a day's orders one-time only.
**Note: When using Stripe, please confirm that you have all the required data integration requirements for a successful stripe integration with Wicked Reports.To confirm that we are properly pulling your Order Data, you can follow these steps:1) Go to Authorizations inside Wicked Reports2) Confirm that you have Authorized the correct Stripe account for pulling Order Data3) Open your Stripe account and confirm that Customers exist.5) Select a Customer and confirm that they have EITHER an Invoice OR an Order (shown below). Without this information, we will not have revenue and ROI reporting from your Stripe data. We must have the purchases for the customers.6) In Wicked Reports, go to the Customer LTV Report7) Select the ORDER / UTM SEARCH Tab and make sure you are seeing your Order Data***8) If you DO NOT see Orders during a selected time-frame in which you KNOW you have orders, that means we've not successfully pulled in your orders.*** This will take a day to populate, sometimes it takes 2 or more days if something is not correctly setup.
To validate and reconcile orders, we recommend starting with 1 day and using this process: My revenue doesn't match what I'm seeing in my shopping cart
It's the exact process our Customer Success team uses.